SUPPORTED SB 582 the Climate Emergency Mitigation, Climate Safe Restoration, and Just Resilience Act of 2021: Signed the Climate Center’s organizational sign on letter in support of SB 582, a bill which strengthens state climate policy by increasing greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction targets from 40% below 1990 levels by 2030 to a higher threshold for 2030 and beyond.
Senator Eggman, on Tuesday, April 27, voted YES in the Natural Resources & Water committee on SB 582. Though we are grateful to Eggman, we still need her and her colleagues to support passage of legislation, such as SB 467, to explicitly create setbacks from oil wells and protect communities living nearby. Again, thank you to VISION-CA for their leadership on these efforts.
SB 582 is a bold bill that would do five things:
1. Set a new goal for CA to reduce GHG emissions by 80% by 2030 (current goal is 40%— IPCC goal is 50%, Biden just set a goal of 50% by 2030 last week for the whole US)
2. Set a goal for CA to become net carbon negative by 2035
3. CA would become active again in international climate action efforts as this is a global problem and needs global solutions (Jerry Brown did a lot of work internationally, Newsom has not)
4. Develop a climate resilience plan especially for vulnerable communities
5. Develop a plan for climate restoration